Monday, February 1, 2016

Week One In A New Country

For me the last week has been a whirlwind. Adjusting to life here in Sofia, Bulgaria has been an adventure since arriving on January 25. There have been so many highlights already but I will try to be brief as I update you on how things have gone.

Leaving for Bulgaria!


On January 24, I left Dallas, Texas and flew to Frankfurt, Germany, for the first stage of my travel. After a long and rough flight I landed very motion sick. Due to my sickness, I missed my original connecting flight to Sofia and was scheduled to leave later that same day. I arrived in Sofia, Bulgaria the evening of January 25. After my tiring journey it was such a relief to have my feet on solid ground. I was picked up from the airport by some colleagues and after arriving at their home, my host family was so gracious and allowed to get a good night's rest.

Tuesday, mid-morning, I started my week off at a run. I was taken to the grocery store, a place to exchange money, the metro to buy an unlimited transportation card (for the metro, trolley, and bus systems), and was given the chance to visit Sofia Christian Academy. It was a long but wonderful first day and with my desire to take everything in, I neglected to get any pictures.

Wednesday I prepared and travelled to Thessaloniki, Greece, with a few colleagues and a local lawyer, to submit my visa application. Although it was a fast 24-hour trip there and back, I had a great time! Some of the highlights of the trip included: seeing the gorgeous Greek architecture, walking along the Mediterranean Sea, and eating an authentic Greek salad!

The Mediterranean Sea  
Cora in front of a neat artwork display

    Fun with New Friends 

    The view on the drive to Greece
























    Friday I went up to the school all day and was able to observe my fellow teachers lead their classes. They did a wonderful job of orienting me and explaining how I will fit into the existing system. I was also able to meet the students and their parents! Everyone was so kind and welcoming! This coming week I will observe some more and will officially begin teaching alongside the other teachers on February 9th.

    Saturday I was able to sleep in then walk around Sofia with one of my housemates and fellow teachers. We visited the nearby mall, went grocery shopping, and got coffee together. It was a wonderful time of fellowship! Sunday I attended the local international Baptist church with some friends. I enjoyed worship with a local body of Christ! It was a wonderful way to start of the week! 

    Overall, it has been a wonderful and transitional week! Everywhere I go there are new sights, smells, and sounds to experience! It has been nice to try new things as well as learn about the places I can access the comforts of home! I am so excited and eager to see what the next months hold and how the Lord will use me in this new place! 

    Some current prayer requests include:
    • Health - That my recovery from jet-lag will go quickly and allow for good, quality sleep.
    • Teaching - That I can have a smooth beginning to my teaching efforts at SCA.
    • Transition - That the Lord will continue to lead and guide as I transition to life here in Sofia.
    Thank you so much for your continued prayers and support! They mean so very much! Blessings!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment